This page will be updated as the situation changes.
Updated December 7, 2020
We have been notified that a Board member has tested positive for COVID-19. Out of an abundance of caution, the library will be closed until Tuesday, December 15, while we institute thorough cleaning procedures. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience at this time.
Updated October 27, 2020
The Newtown Library Company is thrilled to slowly reopen the library interior to patrons! Patrons may reserve time to browse in-person at the library.
Time slots are available Tuesday through Friday from 4-4:20 pm and 4:30-4:50 pm.
At this time, reservations are for ONE adult only for up to 20 minutes.
These parameters allow us to follow procedures that will help keep our librarian, volunteers, and other library members safe. When you arrive, you must:
- have your temperature taken upon entering (must be below 100.4)
- wear a mask and keep 6 feet away from anyone working in the building
- limit yourself to 20 minutes at the most
You will also be offered gloves. This would allow you to browse and put books back on the shelf without putting others at risk.
To make your appointment, e-mail our librarian at email@example.com or call us at (215)968-7659.
Vestibule pickup is still available Tuesday through Friday from 1 to 5 pm for all library members.
We look forward to seeing you again! Stay safe and be well!
Updated July 14, 2020
Vestibule book pickup is in full swing! The library is now open Tuesday through Friday from 1 pm to 5 pm for book pickup. Members are free to reserve books through our online catalog and will be notified via email when their books are available.
We continue to evaluate the possibility of reopening the library interior to patrons. At this time, we will remain open for vestibule book pickup only and will reassess the situation after Labor Day.
As always, the library thanks you for your patience and support. Stay safe and be well!
Updated June 5, 2020
The Newtown Library Company is pleased to announce that we are beginning the yellow phase of reopening! Beginning on June 23rd, the library will be open for vestibule pickup on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 to 4 pm. In the meantime…
- Books Returns: Please begin returning books through the front door book drop. All returned books will be quarantined for 5 days before being checked in and put back on our shelves.
- Book Reserves: Reserve books through the Online Catalog (OPAC). When your books are ready for pickup, you will be notified via email.
- Other Resources: Although the rest of the building will remain closed to patrons, you can still make use of our wifi as well as the outdoor reading circle space.
Stay tuned for more details. We thank you for your patience and look forward to serving our community!
Questions? Please contact Karolyn Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 26, 2020
Dear Members and Friends,
We know many of you have asked when we will be opening. We, as all libraries, are following the Department of Education’s Framework for Reopening Libraries, and are actively working on the preparations below for the Yellow Phase to begin — hopefully by mid June. For now, here is a snapshot of what we’re working on. Stay safe!
Stage 1: Preparation – IN PROGRESS JUNE 5 – JUNE 22
- Prepare the facility — acquire all supplies needed to ensure the safety of our staff (wipes/masks/shields/etc.), members, and book collection
- Create/train new staff procedures for vestibule book pickup
- Create/train new returned book procedure for 5 day quarantine before adding back into the collection
- Do not permit donated library materials
- Accept return of materials in our vestibule
- Begin online reservation only of books/materials through our website
Stage 2: Limited public services in building vestibule – BEGINS JUNE 23
- Allow public only in the vestibule of the building Tuesdays and Thursday from 2 to 4 pm only
- Provide information via telephone & email
- Continue limited online reservation only of books/materials through our website
- Allow checked out materials to be picked up in our vestibule
- Accept return of materials in our vestibule
Stage 3: Library building opens for in-person service with precautionary measures – Date TBD
- Allow patrons inside for limited in-person services
- Require masks for all patrons and staff
- Must wear gloves to handle books — will be provided if needed
- Maintain social distancing of six feet with limited building occupancy
- Remind patrons to adhere to sign posting of mandatory social distancing guidelines
We look forward to providing our services once again and seeing all of you!
Your Newtown Library Company Board of Directors
Free Books through Audible
Audible has made certain books, plays and stories available for free during quarantine. There is a selection of the classics that adult patrons may enjoy revisiting. Jane Austen, Oscar Wilde, F Scott Fitzgerald and other beloved authors are available for downloading to laptops, Kindles, phones and other devices.
To view the choices for all ages go to stories.audible.com.
March 14, 2020
To our members and visitors,
In an effort to follow state & county guidelines regarding the Coronavirus, we will close our doors until further notice.
Your health is of the utmost importance to us and we wish everyone well.
Please hold your books until we reopen. No fines will be incurred and due dates have been extended.
Please see the CDC link for specific information.
Your Board of Directors